Erector Water Plant

Last updated 2007/04/23

Click on links below photos for larger view.

This time building shims for the barb mounting. Start with StarBoard. Normally used for marine applications. Don't have a really good picture of it, but it was used to make the top cap of the back of my boat, the 3/4" think surface that was somewhat poorly installed here in this photo . You can cut, route, drill, tap, etc. just like wood. Doesn't melt nearly as easy as most plastics, so even the router doesn't met it. A dull hole saw will, however.


800x600 - 2272x1704

I cut some small pieces and glued them up to see how it will work. I'm going to use a RotoZip bit in the router and cut a curve the same as the tubing to make a mounting plate. One piece to the inside curve and one for the outside. I'll let it setup overnight, then true up the sides on the bandsaw and try it on the router table. After setting up, they just broke apart. Found on their website that it takes a special epoxy to glue this stuff, so I tried something different.


800x600 - 2272x1704

Started with this brush.


800x600 - 2272x1704

Cut a chunk out of it on the bandsaw.


800x600 - 2272x1704

On the drill press, clamped a piece of wood with a nail for a pivot point.


800x600 - 2272x1704

Put a base on it to swivel around.


800x600 - 2272x1704

Screwed the block of plastic on it and cut it with a RotoZip bit.


800x600 - 2272x1704


800x600 - 2272x1704

Fits the outside of the tube just fine.


800x600 - 2272x1704


800x600 - 2272x1704

Make an inner one and the trim them down a bit.


800x600 - 2272x1704

Now there is a flat surface inside and out for mounting the barb. But guess what. It's too thick. I'm thinking this won't work. Back to the drawing board.


800x600 - 2272x1704

OK, I tried all the fancy methods using jigs, etc. Here's what I made by hand with the dremel. Not perfect, but it fits the curve rather well and will spread the load out if I need to remove the tubing.


800x600 - 2272x1704

Closeup of the hand made washer.


800x600 - 2272x1704

Focus moves to the one already mounted.


800x600 - 2272x1704

And another angle.


800x600 - 2272x1704

I described somehwere else that I can't put the tube in place in the tower without cutting it. Where I have to glue them back together is inside the tank on top of the tower. To make sure the joint is strong, I added a flange to the ends where they will join. Here is the short piece with the flange on the bottom. A saw blade on top for pressure while the sealant dries.


800x600 - 2272x1704

For the tall tower, a specially aquired weight was employed.


800x600 - 2272x1704

Here's some of the aftermath of trying to produce those two curved washers (one of which you see mounted in the lower right corner of the picture). The broken bits of tubing was where I was trying to make a sleave to join the two sections of tubing. I cut a slice out of the tube so I could bend it to fit inside the original tube. I figured it would break before bending enough to fit.

I was right.

So, Joe, I used about 100 square inches of your StarBoard to make two washers totaling less than 2 square inches. And then only used one in the reservoir.


800x600 - 2272x1704